Timeline of the history of The Co-operators

March 1945

January 1946

CF-GA patent

Co-operators Fidelity and Guarantee Association incorporates as an Ontario mutual for bonding in credit union and co-operatives. The Co-operative Union of Ontario, the Ontario Credit Union League, and later the United Farmers Co-operative and Ontario Federation of Agriculture back the new company.

December 1946

Incorporation of Federated Agencies, registered in Saskatchewan, headquartered in Regina.

April 1947

Co-operative Life Insurance

Co-operative Life Insurance Company becomes a national company following registration with the federal government and writes more than $6 million annually in life insurance just in Saskatchewan.

1948

Co-operators Fidelity and Guarantee Association becomes the first Canadian insurance company to remove the question of race from automobile insurance applications.

January 1949

First co-op auto

Co-operators Fidelity & Guarantee Association begins selling automobile insurance with support from the county Federations of Agriculture from across rural Ontario.

1949

Maritime Co-operative Services forms a partnership with Co-operative Life Insurance Company to sell insurance through a network of co-operative stores, federations and credit unions.

November 1950

Co-op Insurance Office

Letters patent issued to Co-operators Insurance Association, a new property and casualty company created to take over the business of Co-operators Fidelity and Guarantee Association.

June 1951

 Farm Plan

Co-operative Life Insurance Company board of directors establishes a new national property and casualty co-operative insurance company, Co-operative Fire and Casualty Company, with backing from co-operatives all across Canada.

1959

The Co-operators Life Insurance Association is incorporated to market life insurance in Ontario.

July 1963

July 1964

 George Viereck Unveiling

Co-operative Insurance Services moves to its current office on College Avenue in Regina, SK. A plaque unveiled at its opening reads:

"This building is dedicated to the belief that through co-operative ownership and control of economic institutions people may provide essential services for themselves with the greatest assurance of security and freedom."

December 1964

 Lloy Matheson

Co-operative Insurance Services in Regina takes delivery of its first computer from IBM and begins computerized processing of new applications and renewals.

1965

1967

Co-op Head Office 1967

Photography courtesy of Ken Barton

The Boards of directors of Co-operators Insurance Association and Co-operators Life Insurance Association approve their new nine-storey, $1 million office tower at Priory Square on Macdonell Street, Guelph as the official corporate office.

April 1971

Co-operative Fire and Casualty Company is the first general insurance company in Canada to offer a no-fault collision benefit in its auto policies.

March 1973

 Appraisel Center

Co-operative Insurance Services opens the first drive-in appraisal centre, in Cape Breton.

1973

Co-operators Insurance Association (CIA) adds contingent collision coverage to its automobile policies. CIA is the first in Canada to offer this coverage.

August 1975

 Board of directors

CI Management Group is officially incorporated as a holding company for C.I.S. Ltd. and CIAG Management Ltd., forming a national co-operative insurance company and realizing a dream for those who had established the insurance co-operatives three decades earlier.

The Co-operators Ad 1976

October 1977

The Co-operators adds underinsured motorist coverage to Ontario automobile insurance policies. The coverage was extended to policyholders in other provinces in the following year.  The Co-operators was the first insurance company to offer this coverage.

June 1978

CI Management Group is renamed The Co-operators Group Limited.

March 1979

1979 Logo

The Co-operators adopts the 3Cs logo, which stands for "Canadian, Co-operative and Credit Union."

September 1979

The Co-operators first television commercials are aired on the Atlantic Television network.

1981

Amalgamation of Co-operative Life Insurance Company and Co-operators Life Insurance Association into Co-operators Life Insurance Company, a subsidiary of The Co-operators Group Limited.

February 1983

Amalgamation of Co-operators Insurance Association and Co-operative Fire & Casualty Company into Co-operators General Insurance Company, a subsidiary of The Co-operators Group Limited.

February 1988

The Co-operators Group Limited places the management of its two insurance operations, Co-operators General Insurance Company and Co-operators Life Insurance Company, under Co-operators Financial Services. The new company also includes Federated Agencies, Coseco, Sovereign General, and Cautrac, as wholly owned independent subsidiary companies.

November 1989

Wayne Scott and Jim Horrick

Photography courtesy of Roy Nicholls

The Co-operators purchases HB Group Insurance Management from Reed Stenhouse Limited following a three-year joint venture to market home and auto insurance to members of employee groups.

1991

The popular Wiserider bicycle safety program is launched.

April 1995

Co-operators Group establishes the Community Economic Development fund in honour of its 50th anniversary.

October 1995

The Co-operators goes online. The first Internet presence consisted of rented space on Insurance Canada's website.

2000

 Colunteers at Buckle-up bears

Photography courtesy of the Oakville Beaver

The Buckle-up Bears child car seat safety program is launched nationwide.